In the 1880s French Canadians settled in the Piedmont Valley and relied on traveling priests who offered mass in local homes. In early 1916, local Catholics decided to build a church at the corner of Park and Second on donated land. Volunteers helped with the work and St. Mary Catholic Church became a reality. By 1969, the congregation had increased to the point where a remodel was needed. In the 1970s, Piedmont's population had grown and it was decided to build a new church a few miles south of town. In 1979, groundbreaking commenced. The budget was $160,000 - and volunteers completed much of the work.
Having the parishioners use their gifts and talents to build the church makes it very special. The altar and the baptismal font are made from granite from Crazy Horse Monument. The chairs near the altar are covered in bison hide. Stained glass from the original St. Mary Catholic Church greets parishioners.
For the complete story, click here.