New managers with roots in the northern Black Hills have plans to make the Roundhouse in Lead more family-friendly, with children's movies in the theater and family-friendly pricing in the Homestake Chophouse restaurant, reports the Black Hills Pioneer.
Facility managers say they intend to serve customers within a 150-mile radius and for the roundhouse to be an entertainment mainstay for local residents.
The roundhouse was built in 1901 by Homestake Mining Co. as the Black Hills and Fort Pierre Roundhouse, according to the roundhouse website. Trains from both the Black Hills Fort Pierre Railroad and the Deadwood Central Railroad were serviced there. The building functioned as a railroad roundhouse until 1930. Afterwards, it functioned as a garage, retail outlet and storage facility. In the 1990s, a private individual purchased the building to prevent it from being torn down by the city of Lead. It has changed hands multiple times since.