The Kleeman House, built in 1883, had been condemned by the early 1990s and calls were growing louder for its demolition when a local couple bought the two-story brick building in 2010 and restored it. Exterior coverings and paint were removed from the red brick, and a detailed description from the Custer newspaper at the time the hotel opened aided in returning the property to its original Victorian style.
What had been nine second-floor bedrooms are now four suites with private bathrooms. A fifth suite that is handicapped-accessible is on the main level, along with a fireplace, parlor, complete kitchen and laundry facilities.
Read more about historic preservation on the Black Hills Knowledge Network.