Black Hills Knowledge Netowork

The Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission is now offering grant funding to restore ghost murals similar to the one pictured here.
The Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission is now offering grant funding to restore ghost murals similar to the one pictured here.
Hazel Nicholson via Flickr
April 26, 2017

Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission Offers Ghost Mural Grant

Long-forgotten advertisements, or ghost murals, painted on Deadwood’s historic buildings will soon be eligible for historic preservation funds, according to the Black Hills Pioneer. The first project to be tackled is the painted “Champion Spark Plug” sign on the Celebrity Hotel. While the current sign has approximately 15 percent of the original artwork, the goal of the restoration will bring the sign to 50-60 percent of its original condition.

The Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission will provide 80 percent of the restoration costs, while the owner of the building would be responsible for the remaining 20 percent, under the grant conditions. A covenant will also be established to protect the restored murals.

To read more about Deadwood, visit the Black Hills Knowledge Network’s online news archive or community profile

Related items

  • Lead-Deadwood School Board Announces Vacancy

    Board member Bob Nelson, Jr. submitted his resignation to the Lead-Deadwood School Board at its October 8th meeting, reports the Black Hills Pioneer. It was…
  • Rural Residents Receive Broadband Access Via Connect SD Initiative

    The Connect South Dakota initiative, a $5 million state-funded grant program proposed by Governor Kristi Noem in her State of the State and budget address…
  • Rapid City Organization Celebrates Women’s Equality Day

    In 1920, Congress certified the 19th Amendment, giving women in the United States the right to vote – in 1971, Congress declared that August 26th…

Get Involved!

  • Need more information? Rapid City Public Library associates are standing by to answer your questions! Ask away in the box below during business hours for live feedback.

    For more on this feature, click here.

  • bhkn donate

    Enjoy our work? Donate today to ensure that community members will have access to our wealth of news, history, and data for years to come.

  • 211 logoDid this post inspire you to get involved? Visit our partner 211's Volunteer Database to find volunteer opportunities in your community.

525 University Loop, Suite 202
Rapid City, SD 57701
(605) 716-0058   [email protected]