A 24-by-16-foot cabin that stands in Custer's Way Park is the Black Hills' oldest standing building, reports South Dakota Public Broadcasting.
The "Flick Cabin" is named for the doctor who began construction of the cabin in 1875. However, Dr. Daniel Flick was among the illegal white miners pushed out of the Black Hills by the U.S. Army, forced to walk to Fort Laramie.
An Army officer, Capt. Edwin Pollack, finished the cabin, and he and Capt. Jack Crawford moved in. Dr. Flick returned, and after a physical confrontation, the dispute became the first civil lawsuit in the Black Hills. Flick prevailed in court and lived in the cabin for several years before moving to Rapid City.
When water-damaged foundation logs were being repaired in 1999, two pistols and a rifle were found in a hollowed-out log. Those guns and other artifacts related to the Flick cabin are on display in Custer's 1881 Courthouse Museum.
Listen to a radio interview about the cabin. Read more about Civic Life and History on the Black Hills Knowledge Network.