The church building across the street from the Pennington County Courthouse has become a fixture in downtown Rapid City. The church congregation started decades before the current building was built.
In March 1914, the church had its beginning in the home of James H. Thompson. A small group met to organize a Scandinavian Lutheran Church, named Rapid City Skandinavisk Lutherske Menighed.
The congregation decided to conduct worship services in the Salvation Army Hall.
In 1918, Sunday School is first mentioned in church records. It was taught in English, Norwegian and Swedish.
On April 9, 1919, the church paid $1,000 for two lots of the original town site, where a church was built.
In 1925, a new church was built at the corner of 4th and St. Joseph Streets for about $5,000. That year, the name was changed to St. John's Lutheran Church.
In 1938, radio equipment was installed to serve people on the prairies and in the hills. KOBH broadcast Sunday services. Today, Trinity Lutheran Church is heard over KOTA radio at 8:30 a.m. Sundays.
On 1941, a building site on the corner of 4th and Kansas City Streets was purchased for $7,000.
In 1942, St. John's Lutheran Church changed its name to Trinity Lutheran Church, in part to avoid confusion with St. John's Hospital.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the new church were held on Feb. 5, 1945. The church that still stands was built at a cost of about $165,000.