On December 22, 1892, the New York Times reported that the Duluth, Pierre and Black Hills Railway had acquired the funds necessary to complete a railroad from Aberdeen to Rapid City, financed through investors from New York City. Going through Pierre, the railroad would be nearly 300 miles long and cost $4 million to complete.
The Times noted that the line would be the first in western South Dakota, as the land had been part of the Great Sioux Reservation until 1889, when much of the land was ceded and opened for public settlement. However, while much of the line had been graded, it was never completed or operational.
To read more about railroads in the Black Hills region, visit the Black Hills Knowledge Network website.