On April 12, 1892, the Meade County Commission passed a resolution that halted its wolf bounty. Prior to this date, individuals would receive $3 for each wolf scalp they presented to county officials. The resolution cited financial hardship as the primary reason for discontinuing the bounty as “there was no money in the General Fund to pay the same, and that Legislature not providing any means by which a tax could be levied to pay the bounty on wolf scalps.”
While today’s commission no longer handles wolf bounties, it still manages issues including liquor licenses, road maintenance and tax concerns. However, unlike their predecessors, today’s commission also considers energy issues, international pipelines, and additional planning and zoning issues.
Meade County was formed by a seceding group of eastern Lawrence County and Sturgis residents in 1889. The newly established Meade County was named after the nearby cavalry post, Fort Meade, which was named after General George C. Meade. General Meade was a union commander during the Civil War.
Meade County was fairly small in its early years as it comprised just the southern area of the current county boundaries. Ten years after it was established, the county annexed two counties to its north—Scobey and Delano. Today the county encompasses more than two million acres.
To learn more about the history of Meade County, visit the Black Hills Knowledge Network's community profile.