The cornerstone of the first building on the Dakota School of Mines campus was dedicated on Aug. 19, 1885, with the school open for instruction on Feb. 17, 1887. The school's Museum of Geology, still in operation, opened at the same time. John W. Hancher received the first bachelor's degree at commencement on May 31, 1888.
The School of Mines presented exhibits during the 1904 World's Fair and the first licensed radio station in the state of South Dakota was established on campus in December 1911.
The first "M-Day" homecoming celebration occurred on Oct. 5, 1912, with the construction of the "M" on M-Hill.
The football stadium began construction in 1931 and was completed as "O'Harra Field" in 1938.
The school formally became the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in February 1943.
The campus is situated in eastern Rapid City. It is one of five universities that provides degrees in extraction and mining sciences, which attracts students from around the world.
In September 2012, SDSM&T made national news when Bloomberg announced that it had passed Harvard in the category of starting salaries for graduates.
The college has an annual budget of more than $93 million, an enrollment of about 2,800 and employs about 400 people.
Read more about the history of SDSM&T on the university's website.
Read more about SDSM&T on the Black Hills Knowledge Network.