The Kroll Meat Market and Slaughterhouse located in modern-day Spearfish City Park will get repairs to its doors, mortar and chimney, reports the Black Hills Pioneer.
The Kroll building is one of Spearfish's oldest commercial buildings, dating to around 1880, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The city of Spearfish now owns the structure.
Rudolf Kroll, an immigrant from Denmark who arrived in the United States in 1876, worked in a meatpacking plant in Chicago before heading toward Dakota Territory, arriving to the newly formed city of Spearfish in 1877. Upon arrival, he homesteaded a cattle ranch in Centennial Valley and began buying property in Spearfish.
The single-story building is made with sandstone block walls, a gable roof with wood shingles, a central brick chimney and a board and batten addition. The open rooms have earthen floors.
Read more about historic preservation on the Black Hills Knowledge Network.