Deadwood's three-story Masonic Lodge, called one of Deadwood's few buildings in near-original condition, will get interpretive signage and displays, the Black Hills Pioneer reports.
A grant will help pay for a new sign outside the building as well as double-sided portable interpretive banners that will be used for the history of the Trial of Jack McCall, which is housed in the Masonic Temple May through September. Other displays will tell the story of Deadwood's early Masons who also shaped the town in its early days. In addition, shadow boxes featuring ephemera and artifacts will be made for the lobby.
The building, built in 1902, still is home to both Deadwood and Lead Mason groups as well as the Temple for the Naja Shrine. It is used by the community for various events.
Read more about historic preservation on the Black Hills Knowledge Network.